Head of Engineering
Company: Spice AI
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Building data and AI-driven apps is still way too hard, even for
advanced developers. At Spice AI, we're helping developers combine
code with data and machine learning (ML) to create truly data and
AI-driven applications. Spice AI is on a mission to make this as
easy as creating a modern web page.
There is no ecosystem more data-rich than web3 and blockchains.
Ironically, while most blockchains are public and open, extracting
data to power apps and ML is painfully difficult. Spice is making
terabyte (and eventually petabyte) blockchain datasets and ML
models accessible to developers, data scientists, data engineers,
and AI/ML engineers.
At Spice AI, we're building a platform for the next generation of
data and AI-driven applications, starting with web3. The platform
includes Spice.xyz (data and AI infrastructure for web3) and
Spice.ai OSS (time-series AI for developers).
As Head of Engineering, you will hire, grow, and lead a
high-performance team of software, data, and AI/ML engineers
responsible for building the Spice data and AI platform. You will
report directly to the CEO and work side-by-side with the executive
team to develop and execute the technical roadmap and architecture.
You will apply your experience in building and scaling big data and
AI systems, lead by example, be hands-on, and create a culture of
This is a key and vital role. You will join on the ground-floor,
and together, co-define, co-lead, and co-create the team, the
product, and the company. Join a VC-backed, fast-growing team of
experienced engineers, using modern technologies like Apache Arrow,
to create the modern data and AI platform for blockchains.
This role may be a great fit if:
- You are a proven, hands-on technology leader.
- You can take a customer focused product and make it accessible
- You are a creative problem solver and approach solutions from
different angles, focusing on possibility, rather than
- When faced with ambiguity, you are a guiding north star and
provide clarity to the team.
- You are passionate about high performance and have high
This experience would be ideal:
- Experience in startups, open-source projects, AI/ML, data
platforms, and distributed systems.
- Experience in designing, implementing, training, scaling, and
shipping production data and machine learning systems.
- A track record of excellent design, architectural, engineering,
and product decisions.
- Excellent communication skills, comfortable with deep technical
writing and conference presentations.
- Experience in web3, blockchains, crypto, DAOs, trading systems,
or financial services is a bonus but not required.
Your new opportunity:
- Leading the company-wide technical strategy and execution.
- Attracting, hiring, growing, and mentoring a team of software,
data, and AI/ML engineers.
- Building and growing an engaged technical community and
industry-leading thought leadership.
- Creating, designing, and building the Spice.xyz web3 data
systems, AI/ML architecture, and platform.
- Maintaining the Spice.ai open-source project.
- Leading, executing, and communicating the strategy for
technology platforms, partnerships and external relationships.
Your first 90-days
- Days 0-30: Learn, contribute to, and ship Spice.ai OSS and
Spice.xyz releases. Gain a deep understanding of the product and
technical roadmaps, architecture, and strategy.
- Days 31-60: Focus on hiring and building your team. 60-90 days
- take leadership of the technical execution of in-flight
- Days 61-90: Take leadership of the company's technical
architecture and long-term technical strategy
This is a hands-on role. Expect to join all of the engineering
team, including the CEO, in building and coding to develop the
About Spice AI
Founded in June 2021 by Microsoft and GitHub alumni Luke Kim and
Phillip LeBlanc, Spice AI creates technology to help developers
build intelligent apps that learn and adapt.
Before co-founding Spice AI, Luke was the co-creator of Azure
Incubations in the Office of the Azure CTO, where he led
cross-functional engineering teams to create and develop
technologies like Dapr and OAM.
Spice AI is backed by some of the top industry angel investors and
leaders, including Nat Friedman, Chairman of GitHub, Mark
Russinovich, CTO of Microsoft Azure, and Thomas Dohmke, CEO of
Spice AI also has notable VC backing from Madrona Venture Group,
Founders' Co-op, and Picus Capital.
- On TechCrunch and GeekWire
- About the team at spice.ai/team
- The Spice.xyz web3 data project announcement blog post
- The Spice.ai OSS project announcement blog post
Keywords: Spice AI, Pasco , Head of Engineering, Engineering , Pasco, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!